2007年5月24日木曜日

Two Approaches

Today we learn about two approaches for teaching vocabulary: the Teach and Learn Approach and the Learning through Input Approach.You can see a PowerPoint presentation of the approaches here. I would like to tell you about the strengths and weaknesses of each approach as well as the approach I would use as a Junior High School English teacher.

*Present and Learn

strengths
-Students can get new words' meanings and pronunciations easily in Present and Learn Approach.
-Students learn how to use the new words.

weaknesses
-If there are some students who already know the new words, they think about this class is boring, so teacher should devise many ways.

*Teaching through Input Approach

strengths
-Students can memorize the new words and they don't forget them long time.

weaknesses
-Teachers have to set example sentenses or ways of input at all new words.
-Some students forget the new words after thier test.


If I become a teacher, I would like to use flash cards and group conversation. When I went to English conversation class, the teacher use flash cards. It was very good for me to understand the meaning and memorize them. And also, I recommend to practice to speak the new words in English conversation because they can image this situation. It helps to understand the new wards.

1 件のコメント:

JH さんのコメント...

Manning,
I am glad to see that you are writing in your blog. Very interesting post! It is interesting to see how everyone's opinions in ETM3 are similar and different.